Monday, April 30, 2007

Problem, Opportunity, Trend or Threat

Like all good management consultants I live in awe of those who can simplify all problems down to a two by two matrix or a short acronym. That's why the title of today's post is Problem, Opportunity, Trend or Threat (POTT). These are the reasons why most firms innovate.

If you think about it, most new products or services come about because someone wants to solve an existing PROBLEM. In fact, many of the best innovations solve problems that many of us have recognized but simply put up with for years. Solving a problem can make it a lot easier to identify the customer base, the potential market acceptance of your innovation and will generally make it easier to communicate your value proposition.

Identifying an OPPORTUNITY means seeing something that others fail to see or identifying a gap or hole in the market that others have failed to take advantage of. An innovation that is targeted to an opportunity is more difficult to quantify, since there are few if any competitors and customers may not even be aware that they have this unmet need.

Identifying TRENDS is probably one of the best ways to "Get there first" and have leading edge products or disruptive products and services. Many firms identify trends but few do a good job of synthesizing and analyzing trends and converting that knowledge into new products and services. Innovating around trends can be risky as well - anyone remember the downside of the "pet rock"? After the initial euphoria, a lot of people realized that they were spending good money for a rock with a face painted on it. Maybe we should separate "fads" from trends.

Finally, innovating around a THREAT is fairly reactive in nature - but often necessary. The threat indicates that your team has found itself behind a competitor or that a new solution has emerged that threatens your products or services. Innovating around a threat is what seems to happen most often, since it is hard to convince people to pay attention to innovation in the absence of a threat.

All of these are viable reasons for innovation, but each represents a very different place on the proactive/reactive spectrum, and demonstrates the firm's willingness to take on risk. Will the firm proactively innovate in new spaces (OPPORTUNITY) or react to what others do (THREAT)? Will it solve a problem (INCREMENTAL) or create something new and disruptive (TREND)? How do you classify your ideas?
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 1:15 PM

21 Comments:

Anonymous Invertir en oro said...

I think that this post is very good, i would like to read more information about this topic.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous asuransi pendidikan said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous action coach said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous jadi artis said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous cara dapat duit said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:33 AM  
Anonymous kerja sama investasi said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:34 AM  
Anonymous coach indonesia said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:34 AM  
Anonymous jajanan bandung said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Panduan SEO said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

3:35 AM  
Anonymous konsultan perusahaan said...

I think people fear idea management and innovation because there's a significant number of ideas that simply won't plan out.......Nice statement.....keep posting

8:14 PM  
Anonymous belajar internet marketing said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous parcel lebaran said...

I think that this post is one of the best that i have read in my life, congrats you did a great job,.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous delayed orgasm said...

the difference between the content spammers and most corporate innovators is that the smaller

8:14 PM  
Anonymous how to avoid premature ejaculation said...

I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything,

8:15 PM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

If growth is important to a firm, and if growth is dependent on offering existing products and services to new customers

8:15 PM  
Anonymous tabungan pendidikan said...

innovation is very natural and happens in the "real world" as new plants and animals colonize new ecological niches.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous mengecilkan perut said...

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect

8:16 PM  
Anonymous how to teach dogs tricks said...

We generally think most specifically about the risk associated with a new product introduction

8:16 PM  
Anonymous easy way to get pregnant said...

I would be aware that as somebody who really doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (in actual fact, this may be my first put up), I don’t think the time period “lurker” is very flattering to a non-posting reader.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous stop pre ejaculation said...

Thanks a lot for this time sharing of innovation about PROBLEM, OPPORTUNITY, TREND OR THREAT. This is really the best website about innovation i have ever read.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home