Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Let's assess the situation

Since it's early in the calendar year and, in most cases the fiscal year, many firms are starting new initiatives and projects. I suspect that many of them are starting innovation initiatives. If so, let me provide one small piece of advice. Stop right now.

By that I don't mean stop innovating completely, or never begin an innovation initiative. What I do think is important though is to assess "where" you are in terms of innovation readiness. Take a short, quick assessment of your organization and its willingess and capability to innovate.

By now, if you are still reading, you've probably thought to yourself, or, if you are like me, yelled at the monitor something along these lines "What? Is he crazy? Any idiot can innovate." To which I'll reply "yes, any idiot can innovate. But with what results?" The challenge isn't whether your firm or the people within CAN innovate, the question is whether or not the firm, its culture and structure, its strategic goals and its investment strategy will sponsor and support innovation. If these, and other components, aren't in place and supportive, then all your innovation team is doing is getting set up for the fall.

What are the key factors to consider when assessing your firm's receptiveness and readiness for innovation? A complete answer would take several posts. For the short answer, think about whether or not innovation is aligned to strategic goals, whether or not the culture of the organization will support innovation, and how the innovation team will interact with the existing corporate structure. If you can identify some likely challenges in a simple thought experiment, you'll encounter those challenges and more to your innovation initiative as you proceed. Identifying the likely sources of conflict and addressing those before the initiative starts will be exceptionally helpful. After all, the folks who climb Everest plan their route and stage food, water and oxygen along the way. They don't climb the mountain and then radio in for supplies as they encounter the needs.

I know we are all in a hurry. I know innovation is exciting and can change the way you work and the revenues and profits you generate. But as with many new initiatives, you get one really great chance to get it right. Make the most of the first chance by assessing your readiness and identifying the likely challenges to your initiative.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 2:27 PM

29 Comments:

Blogger Robert Hruzek said...

You're so right! Too often when enthusiasm sets in, we forge ahead without thinking it through, even a little. It brings to mind a line from Red October, when the Admiral tells Jack something like, "They need a plan. Russians don't take a dump without a plan."

Without going overboard, of course, the sentiment is exactly right!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Could not agree more. As I coach people "ideas are not the hard part, execution is." In other words, innovative ideas are in large supply. The issue is, how to execute on them, both from a know-how perspective and from a willingness perspective.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous how to stay erect said...

thanks for sharing..

12:34 AM  
Anonymous wisata kuliner bandung said...

thanks for sharing..

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Inversiones en petroleo said...

Hello, i would like to know more about this topic because i think that could help me in personal projects.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Invertir en oro said...

I think that this post is very good, i would like to read more information about this topic.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous asuransi pendidikan said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous action coach said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous jadi artis said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous cara dapat duit said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous kerja sama investasi said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous coach indonesia said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous jajanan bandung said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous coklat valentine said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Panduan SEO said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous konsultan perusahaan said...

I think people fear idea management and innovation because there's a significant number of ideas that simply won't plan out.......Nice statement.....keep posting

1:41 AM  
Anonymous belajar internet marketing said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

1:41 AM  
Anonymous parcel lebaran said...

I think that this post is one of the best that i have read in my life, congrats you did a great job,.

1:41 AM  
Anonymous delayed orgasm said...

the difference between the content spammers and most corporate innovators is that the smaller

1:42 AM  
Anonymous how to avoid premature ejaculation said...

I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything,

1:42 AM  
Anonymous konsultan seo said...

If growth is important to a firm, and if growth is dependent on offering existing products and services to new customers

1:42 AM  
Anonymous tabungan pendidikan said...

innovation is very natural and happens in the "real world" as new plants and animals colonize new ecological niches.

1:42 AM  
Anonymous mengecilkan perut said...

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect

1:43 AM  
Anonymous how to teach dogs tricks said...

We generally think most specifically about the risk associated with a new product introduction

1:43 AM  
Anonymous easy way to get pregnant said...

I would be aware that as somebody who really doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (in actual fact, this may be my first put up), I don’t think the time period “lurker” is very flattering to a non-posting reader.

1:44 AM  
Anonymous stop pre ejaculation said...

Thanks a lot for this time sharing of innovation about LET'S ASSESS THE SITUATION. This is really the best website about innovation i have ever read.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous cure hemorrhoids naturally said...

It always feels good to come back here. I love it... it's just nice to see a lot of insightful ideas..

8:08 AM  
Anonymous cure hemorrhoids naturally said...

It always feels good to come back here. I love it... it's just nice to see a lot of insightful ideas..

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home